Friday, June 29, 2007

Shetha with Zucchini


zucchini, we are a big family so we use around 10 or 12.
fresh tomatoes or omit
olive oil for sauteing
chickpeas
1-2 tbs hot pepper paste/harissa or sweet, but hot is our preference
1-2 tbs tomato paste
1 bunch of fresh chopped parsley or dried if you don't have fresh
salt to taste
black pepper to taste
ras el hanout if you have, if not omit
cumin to taste
caraway to taste
paprika to taste

This dish just follows the cooks taste. It's really up to you how spicy you would like it. I like mine more hot, paprika and cuminy (if there is such a word! ;-)
Clean, trim and cut zucchini lengthwise. Heat your pans and add olive oil and begin frying.
While they are frying you can clean and dice your tomatoes. You can omit them if you aren't a tomato kind of person, we love them so we use a lot in this dish.


I don't drain or pat off the oil on my zucchini although many people do. Olive oil is great for health and we only use that so I don't stress out on how much we eat.
After you have fried all of your veggies the sauce is all that is left.
Dump out 3/4 of the oil and try to keep as much of the zucchini pieces in the bottom. They give the dish flavor. Add all your spices, chickpeas, pastes and start cooking.


This sauce can be as soupy as you would like or as thick. We like ours in the middle, so you can see I used a lot of tomato paste, you can omit that and just use the pepper paste or you can just use the tomato paste. After simmering covered for an hour or so this is what is looks like. Pour the sauce on top of your veggies and mop up with some homemade bread! We eat this dish often in our house.


Enjoy!

9 comments:

  1. This dish looks amazingly good to me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll be attempting this recipe on the weekend - I have to find Rasul Hanout, which I think I can find at a spice store downtown. I'm really looking forward to trying it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Even if you don't use it the recipe is great. You know, Rasul Hanout isn't a fix recipe, I have tried a few different bought brands, two homemade ones, and some from different homes within the cooks food.

    You can buy it online, or make it at home. I would suggest making it at home as you can add more of whatever ingredient you prefer. I am posting the recipe on my site hopefully tomorrow, so you can go ahead and follow it if you would like. :-)

    Please let me know how it turns out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It worked out well! I managed to find Rasul Hanout (I didn't all of the spices used in your homemade version)and we used fresh zucchini and tomatoes. It was really tasty, thank you for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, I'm glad you enjoyed it. It's actually a twist on a recipe a great friend gave to me. :-)Where did you find the spice?

    ReplyDelete
  7. A place called "the Souk" which is part of Pikes Place Market.

    ReplyDelete
  8. everything is just so incredibly delicious and well presented, i just can't stop watching the pictures! i'd like to try it all at once!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Welcome Izzigizzi and thank you!

    ReplyDelete

~ welcome! what say you? =D ~