Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Couscous

Before steaming, clean. Cover the couscous with water and drain twice.
You can just use a regular steamer, which is what I usually do.
First steam

Second Steam

Third Steam

As you can see, each time it is steamed it grows! :-)

Finished


pick three or four of the following:

carrots
potatoes
zucchini
sweet potatoes
turnips
eggplant
speghetti squash
pumpkin
chickpeas
fava beans
peas
meat
chicken

sauce:

olive oil
fresh diced tomatoes
grated onions, either green tops or regular
tomato paste, or not
harissa, or not
garlic
pepper
salt
ras el hanout
cumin
paprika
caraway

If all vegeatrian;

Add the cleaned and cut up veggies in a pot with the spices and oil. Cook until fork tender. Add a cup or two of water and finish cooking.



If using meat;

Brown the meat in the oil and spices, add one cup of water and presure cook for fifteen minutes until done.
Take out and follow if all vegetarian added more spices if needed.



Enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. Salam Aleikum Sis :)
    Lovley Mashallah...I love cous cous, its good to use instead of rice! We eat alot of rice, and we all know what rice does to your middle! So cous cous is a good change...My friends mother used to make it with roasted stuffed chicken and she would let allllll the juices from the chicken drip into and over the cous cous to flavour it, and oh my! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jazak Allahu Khairun Sister! Cous Cous is what my family in Southern Algeria eat mostly every day for lunch. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Assalaamu Alaikum :)

    Thank you so much for visiting my blog! Because now I can visit yours and it's just wonderful, masha'Allah! I love baking ... haven't done too much lately because we're moving and all. Aww but insha'Allah soon. Can't wait to see more of your updates! Take care

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful! I love cous cous! Very wonderful for salads!

    Welcome to The Foodie Blogroll!

    ReplyDelete

~ welcome! what say you? =D ~