Friday, October 26, 2007

Linzer Cookies



Dough:
2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
3/4 cups sugar
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 large whole egg
1 large egg yolk
12 tbs (1 1/2 sticks) of cold unsalted butter cut into pieces
2 tbs grated lemon zest
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract

Filling:
preserves of your liking
powdered sugar

Preheat the oven to 350.
In a cup or a measuring container add all wet ingredients and stir.
Place all dry ingredients into a food processor, or to a bowl and combine well, either by whip or processing for a few seconds.
Add the cold cut butter on top of the flour mixture and incorporate either by pulsing for a few seconds until crumbly or with a fork or pastry cutter.
Now add the egg mixture and pulse or stir until well combined. Turn out onto the counter and form into two uniform balls.


It will be quite a crumbly mess, but don't add any liquid, just form them, the heat of your hands will make it form well after a few seconds.
Place one ball on the top a piece of wax paper, place a second piece on top, indent the dough a couple of times with your rolling pin. It will help with rolling it out.



Roll out to about 1/8 inch thick. Cut out tops and bottoms with your cookie cutters.
Make sure you do equal numbers of tops and bottoms. Don't throw away the scraps, re roll them to make as many cookies as possible. Place on the baking sheets about 1/4 of an inch apart, they won't spread out so don't worry. Cook until golden brown, 12-15 minutes and let cool completely before assembly of your cookies.





I used three kinds of fillings, I like a variety. Strawberry Jam, Apricot Jam and Nutella. Turn the bottom over to the side it cooked on and spread a bit of jam or other sweet on then add the top and dust with powdered sugar!


Enjoy!

16 comments:

  1. What a wonderful recipe, I could have a big jar full of these biscuits yummy! I've added your link to my site your recipes are lovely, nice pictures. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you & welcome Jenna! If you try these treats, let me know how they turn out! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. assalam alaikum jamila....I was looking through some older posts and came across the bread video...just wondering did you ever try it?...does it work in a normal oven?...salam khadijah

    ReplyDelete
  4. Walaikum Essalam Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatuh Sis Khadijah! How are you and your family doing? Yes, I have tried the No Knead in my oven and yes it works well, Masha'Allah. However I use a La Cloche, not a dutch oven.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Assalammualaikum Sister Jamila!
    How are you and your family doing?
    Wow, the biscuits look absolutely wonderful-great job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Walaikum Essalam Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatuh,

    Azian Thank you & Welcome!

    ReplyDelete
  7. mm Linzer cookies! those look so good

    ReplyDelete
  8. hmm.. choc spead cookies, sounds like my kind of biscuits :P

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aslamu alakum Jamila

    I am making these now as I type, now thing is they didn't turn out like cookie texure moore like a soft cake, what did i do wrong, i think too much baking powder and butter! So i can't join them with (as to soft)a filling but i will dust them with icing sugar.Jamila one thing they taste delicous really nice flavour so thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Walaikum Essalam Rainbow In The Sky,

    I'm not sure what happened to your dough. Maybe your butter was soft?

    I'm glad you liked the taste, they are one of my favorite cookies to make.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Asalam Alaykum, ahh mashAllah I love these cookies. I had a friend that used to make the same ones, she is from Lebanon. I juts happened to come across your blog and wow I am glad that I did. My name is Noor btw. You should check my blog out it is
    http://themiddleeasterncook.blogspot.com/

    I see you live in VA we just moved from Alexandria and I miss it :(...

    ReplyDelete
  12. These look delicious. I always by them at the bakery, but had never imagined they would be so easy to make.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sometimes we call those Jammy dodgers [peasants that we are!] Back to the oven problem. I must have oven withdrawal symptoms.
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am soooo definately doing these sometime soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. We would like to feature your Linzer Cookies on our blog. Please email sophiekiblogger@gmail.com if interested. Thanks :)

    You can view our blog here:
    blog.keyingredient.com/

    ReplyDelete

~ welcome! what say you? =D ~