Tuesday, October 23, 2007

M'Hajeb or M' Hadjeb




Dough:
  • 500 grams fine Semolina plus more if you add too much water, which I usually do :-)
  • Salt
  • Water
Filling:
  • Tomatoes
  • Onions
  • Tomato Paste
  • Hot Paprika
  • Salt
First make the dough. This dough takes forever to make! It's worth it, ;-)

Measure out the semolina add a pinch of salt and start adding water little by little until you have reached a nice soft dough, that resembles bread dough but stretchy. This takes about thirty minutes or more by hand. Coat lightly with oil and let it rest.


As your dough is resting start making the filling. Slice the onions thinly and grate the tomatoes after cleaning them of seeds and excess juice.



Cook over medium high heat and cook the onions until pretty much all the water is gone. Next add tomato paste and seasoning stirring well to make sure everything is well distributed. Cook a few more minutes to make sure everything is soft moist but not wet and then set aside to cool.






When the filling is room temperature you can start making the M'hajeb's.

Break off a golf ball size piece of dough and spread it on onto the counter slowly and carefully making sure to use enough oil on the work surface as well as the dough itself. This is a pretty oily mess so I didn't take any pictures, maybe next time I will ask my brother or older boy to do it.

Fry them in a bit of oil in a non stick pan or a caste iron pan.


This takes a bit of practice and a lot of time, but they are really good so you aren't loosing any time by making them!

Enjoy!

11 comments:

  1. Mashallah these look delicious! I might actually try to make these soon for my husband. It seems they are a very filling treat. I like the tomato onion mix youve p[ut together..

    On another note: Im so happy to see your photos again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. another questions: you didnt mention at which stage to put the filling in the bread, so when would i do this?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Barak Allahu Feekum Sis!

    You can also use flour with the semolina or use just flour.

    After your filling has cooled and your dough has rested you make the dough into squares or circles, very thin, paper thin, then add a spoon full of filling and close up. I think I will make these again in a few days and post more pictures of that part. It should be seen before tried, so Insha'Allah give me a few days. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. mmmmmm, this one of my favourite Algerian specialities!
    yours are so yummyyyyyy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kaouther, Salaams and thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for your blog Jamila!! I am an American convert marrying an Algerian man...with your help I am learning to cook for him!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Essalam Alaikum Zemilia, Welcome & Thanks. Where is your blog? I couldn't find it, nor your email address...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't have a blog...am I supposed to to post things here?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Zemilia, No you don't have to. :-) Just rare someone doesn't have a profile or a blog who posts comments. Please by all means, don't feel like a stranger, stop by here anytime and say hello or ask for a recipe if you want one! It's very nice to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. As-salaamu'alaykum wa Rahmatu Llahi wa Barakatuhu my dearest sister Jamila,

    I found your wonderful blog from through my dear friends blog (sultana). Masha'Allah.. the recipes you have posted look so delicious.

    Insha'Allah I hope to try this one in particular. It's interesting you used semolina, I'm sure that gives it a completely different taste than using plain flour.

    Do you usually serve it with anything?? And when is it usually eaten (breakfast, snack, etc.)

    Wa'alaykum as-salaam
    Love Farhana

    ReplyDelete
  11. Farhana, Essalam Alaikum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Baraktuh, Welcome Sis and thank you! We eat them with tea sometimes, but with honey on top, no filling, or I suppose you could add nuts, although I have never had it like that. I usually serve them with soup. :-) Welcome and thanks for coming, I hope to see you again.

    ReplyDelete

~ welcome! what say you? =D ~