Who doesn't love Maida?
- 2 cups sifted flour (I'm too lazy/busy for sifting but I hear it's better when you do it ;-)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda (I used 1 teaspoon of baking powder)
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 1 stick of room temperature unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (I used 1 tablespoon)
- 1 cup dark brown sugar, firmly packed of course
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 1/4 cup of sour cream
- 1 generous cup of finely chopped pecans not powdery just chopped
Preheat oven to 350 and line cookie sheets.
Cream butter then add sugar and vanilla and beat well. Add egg and beat well. Slowly add flour mixture and beat until soft.
Break off small pieces, smaller than average American cookies and roll into a ball with your hands.
Using your index finger press a small hole in the center to make a well but be sure to leave an edge.
Make the filling.
Place sugar, sour cream and cinnamon in a bowl and mix well, until smooth then add nuts and stir well again. Take a small spoon and add the filling to the cookies.
Make sure that the filling is mounded fairly high above the rims of the cookies.
Bake 13-15 minutes and leave to cool on rack.