Sunday, November 11, 2007

Biscuits & Peaches


Since I wasn't really in the mood to make much, but wanted to snack I put this together. It's something of a peach cobbler, but not really...

The topping is nice and should have been sweeter taking into account that I didn't have a real sauce for the peaches. A nice brown sugar sauce would have been wonderful and if I find anything that resembles nice peaches in the market I will make it this year, a real peach cobbler that is, since it has always been something our family would eat in the early winter. The biscuit dough is pretty versatile so it can be used for other recipes.

biscuit batter:
1 can of halved peaches in light syrup
2 cups flour
4 tbsp sugar
4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup melted butter
2 eggs, slightly beaten into the milk
small handful of thinly sliced almonds

topping:
2 or 3 spoons of coarse sugar
a few sprinkles of cinnamon
egg wash (I didn't)


Sift together all of the dry ingredients, excluding the almonds.

Cut in the butter using a food processor or pastry cutter, a fork and knife will work fine too. Do this until youhave coarse crumbs. Combine milk and eggs and then add to dry mixture, stirring just until moistened.

Slice the peaches to your desired thickness and put on the bottom of your pan.

Spoon the dough on top of the peaches.


Sprinkle with sugar, ground cinnamon and almonds, and if you like an egg white or entire egg wash would give it some shine and a bit more color.


Bake at 400 for 30 minutes or until golden brown.


Enjoy!

24 comments:

  1. Salam Alaikum Sis :)Long time your not here! Ahlan wa Sahlan...

    Ohhhh Peach Cobbler! i LOVE this...Who doesnt! I love the way you arranged the peaches in the platter so neatly :) My grandma makes THE best peach cobbler, i wouldnt even know where to start!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Jamila this recipe looks wonderful. Great pictures I am so hungry now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Salam alaikum Sis.....Wondering about you....asking about you....Inshallah all is well with you and your family....

    love,sultana :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sultana, Barak Allahu Feekum Sis! I'm just really busy these days with homeschooling and the babies. I have been cooking like mad, have to with seven people to feed, but forget to take pictures until I'm half way through the dish, busy woman I guess.

    How are you doing? How is your family?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wa alaikum Salam Sis :) Al hamdulelah its good to hear you and your family are well and happy... I know how busy life can be at times....Did you find out anything about jobs? Inshallah you find something suitable soon...

    Al hamdulelah all is good with me and the family....Thanks for asking..
    Take care and inshallah ill try my best to keep in touch!

    love,sultana(aka.noora)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow these look lovely! My mouth's watering!!

    You make it look like a simple recipe but I would end up wasting all the ingredients I'm sure!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Salam Alaikum Sis :)

    Eid mubarak to you and your family and May Allah bless your family and loved ones with health and happiness in the year to come.ameen!

    On another note: I have tagged you for a Meme on my Sultanas Palate. If you would like to do it you are welcome to, If not, i completley understand!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It looks absolutely delicious. Have got to try it out !

    www.monaafzal.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I had never thought about making a cobbler with biscuit dough before! Nice idea!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Assalaamu Alaykum sis,

    I just wanted to say I LOVE YOUR BLOG! Ma sha Allah, it's so inspirational. And the pics are great. Only thing is I have to wait for a special occasion or "treat day" before I try out a recipe as I'm trying to knock off a kilo or 10!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Assalaamu Alaykum sis,

    It's me again. Just wanted to say that I've tagged you over on my blog. I hope that's ok with you :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Assalamu aleikum

    Lovely presentation of the biscuit-peaches, mashaa Allah.

    I've added you to my blog-links, if you don't mind, inshaa Allah.

    ReplyDelete
  13. assalamualaikum,

    Masya Allah very nice cooking with children as well. What a nice blog...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Salaams sis, Looks delicious as usual to me!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi there my name is Jeena and I have started a food recipe forum that I thought you would like to join here Click here for food recipe forum

    I would love to see you on there to chat about food and cooking you can talk about anything you like and start your very own topics. :-)
    or see my main food recipe website Jeenas food recipe site

    Hope to see you soon

    Thanks

    Jeena x

    ReplyDelete
  16. My wife hates the way i do it, which i learned in my bachelor days, which is using a can of bisquets. must admit yours looks much better than mine.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Looked like a tasty dessert to me in spite of the shortcomings you mentioned, but then I do just love peaches. Thanks for the idea -- would be great for a quick fix!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This looks SO good - just love peaches, too. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Mmmm...great way to serve up peaches, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hmm... this looks yummy...

    ReplyDelete
  21. I was browsing the foodie blog roll tonight and came across your blog! This recipe looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Looks good! I have a "cheater" recipe similar where I use Bisquick reduced fat - makes a nice, quick fruit dessert and the way I look at it is, fruit is healthy so it's better than some desserts! :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Looks fabulous, but these [hot!] days I seek recipes that don't need cooking in the oven.
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  24. This looks very tasty and my eye is eating up the very first photo.

    ReplyDelete

~ welcome! what say you? =D ~