Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Mini Stuffed Loafs



This Ramadan has been a bit crazy, or maybe I should say challenging. I gave birth a few weeks ago to our fifth child, and am trying to keep up with three toddlers, while falling in love with our new baby and attempting to maintain our home which includes cooking, cleaning and general organizational skills. I am not complaining but being creative in the kitchen has taken a back seat to the rest of what's going on. I miss cooking and baking. I made a lovely cake a few days ago, and another one for one of my best friends yesterday... completely forgot to take photos.

Here is what we will eat with our soup tonight.

Dough:

Your favorite bread dough, pizza dough, foccacia recipe will do for this and whatever stuffing you would prefer. I didn't follow a recipe today as chasing around the children and cooking sometimes lead me to eye ball things.

  • 2 cups of whole wheat flour

  • 1 cup of white all purpose flour

  • ts salt

  • ts sugar

  • ts yeast
Stuffing:


  • Chicken breasts seasoned with cumin, salt, black pepper and lightly cooked in extra virgin olive oil. Of course, I added cheese ... cream cheese.
Proof your yeast with warm water and a teaspoon of sugar.

Add all of your dry ingredients, salt being the last as it kills yeast.

Slowly incorporate all of the ingredients, I used my mixer, free hands are needed with small children. Then add water slowly until you have the consistency that you desire.

Coat with oil and let it double in the oven, covered with a kitchen towel.

Cook your chicken with the spices in olive oil and let it cool off, covered on the counter top or in the fridge.

After the dough has almost doubled, gently deflate divide. Let rest for ten minute then shape as you like.


I didn't take any pictures of shaping and rolling up these little treats... Any shape works great.


Enjoy!

5 comments:

  1. hi back jamila! so utterly glad you're posting again. best wishes for the newborn and all your family. happy ramadan, as well. yummy loaves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Take some time out to relax girl, you'll exhaust yourself! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sister: the bread looks delicious, and tell me, did you prepared the chicken to eat with the bread??? or with something else???

    yazakallah

    latifah

    ReplyDelete
  4. sallam alikum sister,
    masha'allah for your posting, best wishes and happy ramadan, love umm amir

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on the birth of your new baby :0). The loaves look lovely. I would love to include your recipe in our pre-loaded Demy, the first and only digital recipe reader. Please email sophiekiblogger@gmail.com if you're interested.

    ReplyDelete

~ welcome! what say you? =D ~