Thursday, October 9, 2008

Smothered Potatoes


This was a fairly simple dish to prepare, just cutting a few vegetables and with an occasional stir I had made a really nice meal. This dish is seasoned to your liking, meaning season to taste, not precise measurements by any means. My husband is a cumin man, so I added a fair amount of cumin and caraway as they compliment each other so well. I love spicy foods, so the hot paprika was a must in this dish, however you can always omit it, as well as any other spice you may not care for. Use your imagination, this dish can be spiced pretty much any way you like.



depending on the size of your family, 1 potato per person generally works well
chicken in any form and any amount, or omit
1/8 cup of olive oil
2 large onions diced
1 head of garlic finely chopped
3 large tomatoes diced or 2 tbs tomato paste
1 cup of chickpeas well washed
salt to taste
pepper to taste
paprika to taste
hot paprika to taste
cumin to taste
caraway to taste
1 large bunch of chopped fresh parsley

For my potatoes I decided on boiling them. I have also used them peeled, sliced and steamed for the same dish, I actually prefer them steamed but was in a hurry, so boiling it was!
Peel and chop garlic and onions and saute them in oil, I love extra virgin olive oil, so that's my standard for all dishes.
After the onions are translucent and a bit soft add your chicken and all spices allowing to brown the chicken and create this earthy aroma of cumin and caraway.

Add chopped tomatoes or if you are using tomato paste add now.


After you have really fragrant sauce going it's time to add the chickpeas and if you like a more soupy type consistency add a half up of water, I don't so I didn't.


I am pressure cooker kinda girl so after adding the chickpeas, twelve to fifteen minutes later, here it is.
Potatoes smothered in sauce and chicken.


Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. MashaAllah looks delicious. You're pics are looking quite nice lately. Did you get that new camera you were hoping for?

    Congrats on the latest addition to your family.

    ReplyDelete

~ welcome! what say you? =D ~