Saturday, November 29, 2008

Basbousa ... Semolina Cake

 

I like Basbousa on occasion. This is a tradition in most Arab countries and I have found that it is different in each home as well as in each country. This is one version.


1 1/2 cups of course semolina
1 cup all purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 cups of unsweetened coconut
1/4 cups of sugar
1 cup of canola oil
lemon zest of 1 lemon
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
1/2 cup of yogurt at room temperature
1/2 cup sour cream at room temperature
4 eggs at room temperature

Simple Syrup:
3 cups water
3 cups sugar
2 tablespoons orange flower water
1 teaspoon lemon juice

Preheat oven to 350 and butter your baking dish.
Prepare the syrup first by boiling together sugar and water until light brown in color. 
Stir in the orange flower water and lemon juice. 
Set aside to cool in the refrigerator.
Beat together the eggs, oil and sugar until thick and creamy.
Add the sour cream and yogurt, vanilla extract and zest. 
Mix until well incorporated.
Add all of the dry ingredients.
Spread evenly in your prepared pan.
Bake until golden brown, 30-35 minutes.
Pour prepared cooled syrup slowly directly on the cake.
Cut into squares or diamonds and top with coconut or almonds.


Enjoy!

5 comments:

  1. That looks delicious! I make mine differently, may attempt yours one day :)
    Xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll try it today, looks delicious. Thank you for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Arabic food.

    This looks beautiful and delicious. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love basbousa. I have a recipe similar to that on my blog. Check it out!

    http://culinaryxcouture.blogspot.com/2008/07/basbousa.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your basbousa is fabulous. I like it.;o)

    ReplyDelete

~ welcome! what say you? =D ~