Thursday, December 18, 2008

3 Soup For Winter Nights



This is a staple soup in my home. I used whatever vegetables I have on hand, which usually includes the following but not limited to. Sometimes I add pumpkin or butternut to this dish. Its a warming kind of soup, one that I really love with warm bread or boureks.

1 large onion chopped or minced
1 head of garlic chopped or minced
3 celery stalks chopped
3 zucchini cubed
3 medium to small potatoes cubed
3 carrots chopped
2 chicken breasts cut up into chuncks
1 tbs salt
1 ts pepper
2 ts cinnamon
1/8 cup extra virgin olive oil

    Using a heavy pot, brown the onions and the spices in extra virgin olive oil. 
    Add the garlic when the onions are almost completely caramelized.
    Add the celery when the onions and garlic are well browned.
    After the celery is wilted add the carrots and the potatoes and brown. Carrots are so sweet when browned.
    Add the zucchini and 6 to 7 cups of water or broth.
    Bring to a boil and add the chicken breasts.
    Check to make sure the chicken is well done and the vegetables are soft.
    Use a hand blender to make a silky soup. I never use my blender for soups because I have on many occasion burned myself. 
    As always taste for seasoning and adjust.


    Enjoy!

    3 comments:

    1. Yow!! That looks soooo tasty!!!!

      ReplyDelete
    2. PS. I think it could make an excellent spring dish!! I'll try it as a Tofu version!

      ReplyDelete
    3. Bluesfrau, Thanks for stopping by! Yes, you could totally make it vegetarian, which we do on occasion in my home.

      ReplyDelete

    ~ welcome! what say you? =D ~