Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Chocolate & Zucchini Cake


Chocolate cake with ribbons of zucchini... who thunk this up? I have made/eaten this cake a few times and I always forget how much I love it until the first bite. I think this cake makes for a great excuse to eat chocolate, why not? It's got my veggies too! =D

2 1/4 cups flour
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1 3/4 cups sugar
1 ts baking powder
1/4 ts cloves
1 ts cinnamon
2 cups shredded zucchini
2 cups chocolate chips
1/2 vegetable oil
1 ts vanilla extract
8 tbs butter at room temperature
1/2 yogurt at room temperature
2 large eggs at room temperature

Preheat the oven to 325.
Stir together the dry ingredients.
Beat together the butter and oil until a nice cream has formed, about 5 minutes.
Add the sugar and beat for another five minutes or until light and fluffy.
Add the eggs one at time and beat well after each addition.
Beat in the vanilla.
On low speed gently stir in half of the flour mixture.
Stir in the yogurt.
Add the last of the flour mixture.
Fold in the chocolate chips and zucchini.
Pour into a 13x9 dish. Spread evenly and bake for about 50 minutes. 
The cake will be well risen and a toothpick will emerge pretty clean.
Cool the cake and cut into serving sizes of your choice.

Enjoy!

7 comments:

  1. MashaAllah looks good. I'm so going to give this a try. I've gotta use up the rest of that zucchini and what better way that with chocolate. I never would have thought of such a combination. I'm intrigued.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Assallammu alaikum!
    Looks delicious - you dont mention how much sugar goes in it...

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks really tasty! I love zucchini, but I never thought of adding it to cake!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks so good and we can always have an extra slice because you used some veggies. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  5. assalamu alaykum,

    mashaAllah, thank you for this nice recipe.

    just to make sure, i need 1 cup and 3/4 of sugar ?

    take care

    ReplyDelete
  6. Walaikum Essalam Wa Rahmatullah KJ,

    Yes 1 cup plus 3/4 cup.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have saw a lot of recipes combining the two, I would like to taste it. I think I may try a recipes soon inshAllah.

    ReplyDelete

~ welcome! what say you? =D ~