Thursday, December 18, 2008

Butter Dinner Rolls



This is a dense, buttery, fat induced kind of experience.


1 1/4 cups milk
1 cup butter
3 tbs extra virgin olive oil
3 tbs sugar or honey
1 ts salt if using unsalted butter
1 tbs yeast
2 eggs, lightly beaten
4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
course salt (optional)

    Add the yeast to 1/4 cup of warm water and one tablespoon of sugar. Set aside to bubble up.
    Melt the butter, remaining sugar and milk together.
    When the yeast is bubbly add the lightly beaten eggs.
    Gently whip the mixture.
    Add the flour and salt.
    Slowly add the cooled off milk mixture.
    Beat by hand or with your dough attachment until a smooth silky dough has formed. It take between 3 and 5 minutes on medium speed.
    Add a tablespoon of olive oil to the bowl, coat the dough and set aside covered in a dark and warm place to rise for two hours.
    Turn the dough around to coat with the olive oil.
    Break off golf ball size portions and shape as you like.
    Drizzle with olive oil and course salt if using.
    Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 30-35 minutes.


    Enjoy!

    4 comments:

    1. These look fabulous the texture is amazing.

      ReplyDelete
    2. I would love to try this recipe... but I don't want to get disappointed. Whenever I bake homemade breads or rolls, they never taste like store bought, they are not that soft and tasty as storebought ones. Is there a reason for that? Is it all down to the additives they add or what is it...?

      ReplyDelete
    3. would you give me the mesure for the butter in grams ? thanks
      i cooked the chicken and olives tagine and my algerian boyfriend said it was amazing.

      ReplyDelete
    4. @ Jenna Thanks!!!!

      @ Kawthar, I know what you mean! I have made several rolls and not all the recipes measure up! I think it has to do more with the butter/fat content added that makes them soft. My grandmother made the softest rolls ever, from scratch her entire life and nothing I have ever tasted from the stores can compare. Good luck, let me know if you try this one.

      ReplyDelete

    ~ welcome! what say you? =D ~