Friday, March 6, 2009

M'Hadjeb Linguine Night? Would you like a plate?


So this is by far from the traditional Spaghetti or Linguine that I grew up eating. But just because it's not something we grew up with doesn't mean it isn't just as good!

This is something I make often using either Spaghetti, Linguine or Angel Hair Pastas, but usually not with M'Hajeb sauce, but a quick onion, tomato and garlic sauce I make on the spot.
I don't like canned nor jarred spaghetti sauces at all. They are full of sugar and who knows what else. Making fresh sauce isn't hard, can be done using simple ingredients and is so relaxing! Why used something bought?
Besides I don't throw away food, so many people don't have any and how can I not be thankful for the blessing I'm living in. This is a great way to utilize what is left over.

pasta of your liking
m'hajeb paste, see here for the recipe
dry or fresh parsley for the meat
fresh minced garlic for the meat and sauce, how much depends on how much you like garlic ;-)

fresh or dry basil
ground black pepper
salt
olive oil of any kind
ground turkey, chicken, beef or lamb, or omit meat and make some fritters to eat along side your pasta, see here for a simple recipe

Add your spices and garlic to the meat and blend gently until well mixed. 

Form into balls and set aside.


Heat your skillet, dutch oven or pot until oil is sizzling hot. Place the meatballs gently in the oil and brown well and all sides.


Push the meat to the side and caramelize the garlic


After the garlic is browned a bit add the M'Hajeb paste and caramelize that as well.


Place the lid on and cook on low for about twenty minutes until all the flavors blend well and the onions, garlic and tomatoes are really soft and sweet.


Place your boiled pasta on top of the sauce.

Mix well and drizzle with extra virgin olive oil.
If you are using basil now is the time to add it.
The heat of the sauce will bring out all of the essential oils in the basil and will be so sweet!

Enjoy!

6 comments:

  1. MashaAllah, thank yo very much for this wonderful recipe...I will try it inshaAllah.

    Me too I don't like sauce in a jar...they all taste the same ..my mother in law makes a wonderful tomato sauce from scratch and it is absolutely tasteful...homemade foof is the best!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aslamuakalumthis sounds intresting will try it soon mashaAllah I don't use proccessed foods , just don't taste right!
    Thanks for sharring.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Assalamu alaykum.
    I just discovered your blog and couldn't stop scrolling down! It is one delicious-looking recipe after another!! I can't wait to try them out in sha Allah, especially the courgette fritters, they look amazing ma sha Allah.
    Your photography is also perfect and makes the blog very easy to follow and just lovely to look at overall! Great job ma sha Allah!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was wondering if you have a recipe for karan/garantita/etc? I looked around your blog but couldn't find such a recipe. I have tried a couple of recipes and none of them seem to work outside Algeria! A very mysterious predicament. After giving myself time to get over my last disappointing attempt, I would like very much to try again.
    Thank you and keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes I would like a bowl please! It looks really delicious.

    You are right also that we are lucky to be able to eat such nice foods I agree!

    ReplyDelete
  6. MashaAllah! I think this is a great idea.

    I found a great product at the coop to make sauces. I like to eat unprocesse foods without preservatives, but I need some things easy because I have a job.

    I use strained tomatoes by Bionaturae. They are quite expensive but were on member special at our coop a few weeks ago. I stocked up then. They are normall around $4, but I got them for $1.99 each. The ingredients are organic strained tomatoes and nothing else.

    http://www.foodservicedirect.com/product.cfm/p/166726/Bionaturae-Organic-Strained-Tomatoes-24-Ounce.htm

    You should give em a try. I will definitely be trying out this recipe. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete

~ welcome! what say you? =D ~