Wednesday, July 8, 2009

The Kids Turtle



One of my brother in laws found a turtle on his way back to Metlili from Algiers. Being the animal lover that he is, he just had to bring her home! The kids are thrilled, watching her daily, giving her lettuce (leafy green of course) and apple leftovers. She bakes in the sun during the early mornings to mid afternoon then covers herself during the scorching late afternoon! She has the crack on her back, I wonder if a bird thought that she would make a lovely lunch and picked up her, flying as high as possible to only drop her down again attempting to break her shell... We have a new addition to our family and that bird was out lunch!

She laid a dozen or so eggs and buried them close to her a few weeks back. Now I'm waiting for them to hatch, the day is close I'm sure, I did some reading after contacting a Vet and sending her some pics and her official name is Testudo hermanni., I call her Hermie.

Supposedly they are amongst the "smarter" turtles. Whatever the case, I hope she doesn't die from the heat and lack of baths, the last few days it has been a degree or two above 110! My in laws think it's crazy to give her a bath, even though it is totally needed and recommended, saying as much as a couple times a week but at minimum once.

6 comments:

  1. salamu alaikum, what a fun pet!

    Where exactly is metlili located in algeria? How big is the population? It's very interesting. I cannot imagine living anywhere outside of algiers, and I even struggle with that too. My husband just arrived in El Oued last night from Algiers. He hasn't been there in over 20 years, but his family is originally from El Oued Province. He was born in la casbah, but I'm not sure when his family arrived in Algiers...most still live in El Oued. He did say it is hot. Stay cool :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Walaikum Essalam Sis,

    Metlili is in the State of Ghardia, about an hour or so away from the city of Ghardia.

    I have a very nice friend from El Oued, she is one of the nicest sisters I have ever met.

    It is hard living here, but to live in the North for me would be much harder. The population is around 60,000 or less, I have heard as low as 45,000.

    It's hot! Alhamdulillah for air conditioning. LOL!

    Where do you live in Algiers? I have a good friend, whom also married an Algerian, who lives in Staouli (sure spelling is WAY off!)

    Are you American? (Sorry if my memory doesn't serve me, I don't usually that kind of information for very long.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a cute pet turtle, I can't wait to see the babies if you post a picture?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Im in Algeria too! Right now, Im in Algiers, Solonbier to be precise:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. assalamu alaikum

    that turtle is awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Assalamu alaikum.

    Very, very cute turtle. :D

    ReplyDelete

~ welcome! what say you? =D ~