Friday, April 9, 2010

Overnight Cinnamon Rolls


I miss my home terribly. On a brighter note I have found that there are a few things that can help me feel more at home here in Algeria.... Food...
It's the smells that come from my kitchen reminding me of the foods my mother used to make us growing up as well as what I have been making for my own children, while they are growing up.
I like to make these rolls the night before I actually cook them. You can make them the same day if you so desire, but I have to say, the taste isn't the same.
I had to make some minor adjustments, substituting here and there due to lack of certain ingredients, but that never hurt anyone!
This time I didn't add raisins or nuts, but that doesn't mean you can't. I also doubled this recipe, we are a rather large family and I do love to share recipes with my in laws whenever I get the chance.

Dough:
4 large egg yolks
1 large whole egg
1/4 cup sugar
6 tbs melted unsalted butter
6 oz buttermilk, room temperature
4 cups  flour , plus additional for dusting
2 1/4 tsp yeast
1 1/4 tsp salt
cold butter for preparing baking dish and the bowl for resting dough

Filling:
1 cup of sugar, but it should be packed brown sugar which is unavailable here
1 tbs ground cinnamon
pinch salt
1 1/2 tbs softened butter
raisins optional
nuts optional

2nd filling if you like to make two kinds on the same day:
4 tbs of apricot jam
raisins
1 tbs cinnamon
1/4 cup sugar

Icing:
1/4 cup softened cheese, I don't have access to cream cheese here! But when I cannot get to that store in Ghardaia (40 minutes away!) that sells it, I use laughing cow (this recipe is not cream cheese), and I have also used homemade white cheese, which is better than cream cheese anyway... most of the time

3 tbs milk or cream
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1-2 tsp lemon juice

The Dough:
In the bowl whisk the egg yolks, whole egg, sugar, butter, and buttermilk.
Add half of the flour along with the yeast and salt; whisk until moistened and combined.
Begin to knead the dough and add all but 3/4 cup of the remaining flour.
Check for consistency of the dough, add more flour if necessary; the dough should feel soft and moist and a bit sticky, but not so much that you cannot work it and not so sticky that your hands are full of dough.
Lightly butter a large bowl and transfer the dough to it. Oil  or butter the top of the dough, cover and let it double in volume, 2 to 2 1/2 hours.

For the filling:
Combine the brown sugar or sugar, cinnamon and salt in a medium bowl.
If you are using nuts and or raisins, add them now.
Mix until well incorporated then set aside until ready to use.
If you are making a second filling, add the second option all together and set aside.
Lightly butter or oil a 9 by 13-inch glass baking dish.
Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured work surface if not using marble.
Gently shape the dough into a rectangle with the long side nearest you.
Roll into a rectangle.
Spoon and spread the butter mixture over the dough, leaving a 3/4-inch border along the top edge.



Beginning with the long edge nearest you, roll the dough into a tight cylinder.
Very gently squeeze the cylinder to create an even thickness. 
Using a sharp knife or a dough scraper, slice the cylinder into 1 1/2-inch rolls, thinner or thicker depending on personal preference.



Arrange the rolls cut side down in the baking dish; cover tightly with plastic wrap and store in the refrigerator overnight or up to 16 hours.


Remove the rolls from the refrigerator and place in an oven that is turned off.  They will have risen some, and will finish at this time.


Remove the rolls and preheat the oven to 350.
When the oven is ready, place the rolls on the middle rack and bake until golden brown, approximately 30 minutes.


While the rolls are cooling slightly, whisk all the icing ingredients together until smooth.
Spread or drizzle over the rolls and serve immediately. 


Enjoy!

5 comments:

  1. Yum, yum,Masha`allah look lovely,:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooooh these look delicious. Have you ever tried making your own brown sugar? The common conversion is 1Cup sugar to 1 T molasses, but I'm willing to bet that you can't get your hands on any molasses. I know in some middle eastern countries they sell molasses under the name of black honey. You can try subsitituting really dark honey for the molasses. Let me know how it works if you decide to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  3. essalam alaikum umm abdul rahman, actually yes, i have tried to find molasses and couldn't. i tried the honey and white sugar, didn't come out like i would have liked it. i want to try using date syrup/honey, not sure how it would turn out, but i use it on pancakes and it's superb!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jamila - I could always send you an "export box" like I do for my friend in Germany who cannot find certain things there. I'd be happy to do it! Just let me know. Lorie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow these rolls look so fluffy and delicious.

    ReplyDelete

~ welcome! what say you? =D ~