Saturday, March 27, 2010

Khubs (Khubz) Tagine or Bread Plate

My sister in law taught me how to make khubs tagine last night, it's something that I have wanted to make for months.... I took pictures while she made it, because let me tell you, it's not a simple bread. It's a ton of  kneading the dough to achieve that perfect texture, and sound.
Hands down this is the best tasting bread I have ever eaten in Algeria. It's not that hard to make, it's just time consuming.

Basically the recipe is one cup and a half of semolina for every bread you would like to make. Of course if you like a semi flat bread, if not, add more semolina for thicker.

fine semolina
salt
water
yeast
sugar
butter for brushing atop of cooked bread
seeds, I used black seeds and licorice


Add semolina, yeast, and just enough water to make sure that there is not any unwet semolina.
This is a kind of bigga or starter I suppose. It's said that the semolina will knead better, be softer, for you if you do this step first. Let it sit for twenty or thirty minutes.


Now add enough water to make a really pliable soft dough.

Divide the dough into equal portions, sprinkle with seeds if you using, and lightly dust a large cloth with flour and flatten out into disks.



Cover and let them rest, and rise a bit. twenty to thirty minutes is enough

Flip into your hand and cook either on an open fire or in the oven until golden brown.

Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. I love homemade bread! love the pix!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have had this bread many times, it's delicious! My dear friend from Algeria makes it for us and she was kind enough to teach me how to make it. I love the step by step pictures and I love your blog, I wish I had discovered it sooner. I will be subscribing to it right away. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

~ welcome! what say you? =D ~