Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Homemade Mayonnaise


Once upon a time, a long time ago, a young girl who loved mayo asked her father where it came from, he with all certainty and utter thrill that his only daughter asked him something of importance, something that he could answer, announced it was from raw eggs.........

Eww, raw eggs?

I then tried to boycott it, I didn't like it on anything.....

....except macaroni salad, oh and potato salad, oh yeah, and egg salad and of course dabbled on tomato and lettuce sandwiches, and hamburgers grilled by my father. Needless to say the boycott didn't last long .... LOL!

About a year ago I started making my own, so I know the eggs weren't cracked, dirty, old etc. etc. etc.

Here it is, simple, easy and tastes so much better than any of that store bought stuff.

2 egg yolks
2 ts mustard
1 small clove of garlic
1/4 cup vinegar
1 1/2 - 2 cups oil of your choice, I use olive oil sometimes and vegetable ie. corn oil other times
salt
pepper

Add the eggs, seasoning, garlic and vinegar.


Whip by hand, or process in a food processor, or like myself use a handy dandy blender until thickened a bit.


S-L-O-W-L-Y pour the oil as you whisk the egg yolks. When it starts looking like mayo go ahead and stream in the rest of the oil. Adjust the amount added for the consistency you prefer.


To thin, I added more EVOO.


Taste and adjust seasoning.
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

~ welcome! what say you? =D ~