Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Chocolate & Vanilla Striped Cake

I love chocolate and vanilla cakes, two loves found in one food. This is a regular coffee cake in my home, I hope you love it as much as we do.

Batter:
1 cup sugar
4 eggs
1 cup milk
1 cup vegetable oil
4 tbs vanilla
2 cups flour
2 ts baking powder
1/4 ts salt
1/4 cup cocoa powder

Icing:
1/2 cup soft butter
1/2 cup homemade soft cheese, or use cream cheese
3 cups sifted powdered sugar
leben, ripe, buttermilk, cream or milk

To make the cake preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly butter a round baking pan. Set aside.
In a bowl, or in my case my measuring cup, whisk the sugar and eggs until light and frothy.

Slowly whisk in the oil, milk and vanilla until well combined and smooth.


In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt.
Whisk to remove any lumps.
Slowly poor the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients.


Whisk until the batter is smooth and lump free, of course not over mix otherwise you will have a tough cake with tunnels. Remove 2 cups of the vanilla batter and place it in the measure you used for the liquid ingredients. Sift the cocoa over this batter, and stir well to combine.



Now for the stripes. Spoon about 3 tablespoons of vanilla batter into the center of the cake pan.
Next, spoon 3 tablespoons of the chocolate batter into the center of the vanilla batter.


Continue to alternate batters, until the batter is finished. This is the time consuming part of making this cake, but so well worth it! By then end of this the kids were pulling on each arm saying "let me see, let me see!" So inevitably I ended up dumping more batter than wanted and the stripes were not as uniform as should but, but still very pretty!


Bake for 35-45 minutes, or until the cake is lightly browned and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool the cake in the pan for 10 minutes, and then turn out onto a wire rack to finish cooling.

I make the frosting after the cake has been cooling for about a half hour.

Frosting: Combine the butter and cheese and whisk until light and fluffy. I love my homemade white cheese, so I use it, but really any soft cheese will work, or just omit all together and use just butter for a nice butter cream.

Whisk in the sugar, I like to sift it atop, then begin and keep whisking until well incorporated and not really gritty, but smooth, light and fluffy.


I used Leben also known here as Ripe, a tablespoon at a time until I had found the consistency I was looking for. It's a buttermilk of sorts.

I cut, then frost, but whatever you do, even just leaving it alone will be great!



Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. AnonymousJune 09, 2010

    It looks yum, i really need to make one.lol

    ReplyDelete

~ welcome! what say you? =D ~