Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Potato Parathas ... Aloo Parathas


My husband and I used to eat Parathas all the time, in fact they are a favorite in our home. Our local Halal store *Halalco* used to sell them in packs and sometimes we would eat them with soup and salad for dinner or lunch, or with Chorba Frik instead of Boureks during Ramadan. Sometimes we would just eat them with a cup of cold milk and slathered butter on top... yummmmm! Try for tea time in the afternoons too! For all the Algerian food lovers out there this is truly an Indian version of Mhadjubs.

After moving here to the South of Algeria we no longer have access to them, store bought anyway. I did travel to the North before Ramadan to visit some friends and my husband found a very nice Indian Restaurant, although we didn't actually eat Parathas I am sure they have them since it's a very popular dish. This pregnancy seems to be all about eating hot and spicy foods, so of course I have to make spicy Parathas.

The follow recipe is for 6 Parathas but can easily be doubled or tripled depending on how many you will serve.

Dough:
1 cup whole wheat flour which doesn't exist in Algeria so I am using white flour + more for rolling
1/2 cup water
2 tbs oil, separated
salt to taste

Filling:
3 medium potatoes
3 medium carrots
1 tbs chili pepper
1/2 ts cumin powder or to taste
salt to taste

Filling:

I like to make the filling first so it's room temperature when the dough is ready to be rolled out. I have heard that you can make the filling uncooked, but I prefer to cook mine I don't really care for uncooked spices or potatoes.
Boil the potatoes and carrots then mash them together with the spices. Taste and adjust. Set aside to cool.


For the dough:

In a food processor or by hand mix all the flour, water, 1 tbs of oil and salt. Knead well, then add the last tbs of oil and let the dough rest for 15-20 minutes. Break into equal portions.



Dust your work surface with flour.

Using your fingers/palm of your hand or a rolling pin make a small circle, the edges should be thinner than the middle to hold the stuffing. Place a ball of stuffing and close up like a dumpling, making sure to seal the edges well. Finish with remaining dough.


Making sure your work surface is floured, start with the first dough ball. Gently and evenly press out, this is a very easy to get a nice circle. Finish by a rolling pin until the size desired is achieved.



The thinner the better in my opinion, but it's all about personal preference. Also consider how much stuffing you have used. If you get any air pockets, prick the dough with a knife and continue.
Dust off any access flour and place on a hot griddle or frying pan. Flip when it's evenly browned.




These are traditionaly served as a breakfast food with Chutney and or Yogurt.
In our home we brush on some butter and serve warm!

Enjoy!

9 comments:

  1. They are a whole meal on their own mashallah..Love them xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting Blog :) Just an info - if you really need whole-wheat flour, u can grind some oats - you know, 'dalia' - find the whole wheat variety and grind them, add that to plain white flour. The result is quite good. . :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Moon, Masha'allah they are a wonderful food!

    @ Ruhina, I actually have no way of getting Oats here, I'm in the Sahara and nobody seems to know what they are, even in Arabic. :-) Why is it I cannot see your blog but only your profile?

    ReplyDelete
  4. assalamu alaykum

    it's lovely to see u back blogging masha'Allah and mabrook & du'as for your pregnancy :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Salam walaykum sister! Jazak Allahu Khair for following me on my blog:) Your recipes look so delish, masha'Allah I can't wait to try some. I was reading your profile and noticed you used to play the cello, subhan Allah I used to play the viola. I also noticed you're from Virginia, I'm from Ohio, so we were almost neighbors in the states and now we're almost neighbors in Africa LOL. Looking forward to getting to know you. Salams!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Walaikum Essalam Wa Rahmatullah,
    @ Sister Um Almujahid, Thanks for stopping by and not forgetting me ;-)I appreciate your dua'a, may Allah protect you all!
    @ Sister UmmHamza, Yiakkum, Thanks for following me as well! Seems we have a lot in common, Insha'allah we can chit chat sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Assalaamu alaikum

    Masha'Allah, these look perfect! I love paratha so much and have taken to making these myself recently also!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks nice going to try these!

    ReplyDelete
  9. @uk4dz, Walaikum Essalam Wa Rahmatullah, Thanks! They are more time consuming than hard, which I wouldn't have guessed.
    @ Heni, Thanks! If you do try them, let me know how they come out!

    ReplyDelete

~ welcome! what say you? =D ~