Sunday, October 10, 2010

Brioche French Toast


This is an overnight recipe. I break this recipe into two portions so you can easy half it. I make one loaf for egg and grilled cheese sandwiches as well as french toast for hubby and I after the kids are off to school. The second half of the batch goes for brioche rolls.
8 cups, divided into half
1/2 or more if you like cups of room temperature butter
1/2 or more if you like of sugar
6 eggs or less if you don't have on hand, room temperature as well
2 tbs yeast
6 tbs powdered milk
1 cup water or milk depending on what you like, I use water since I use powdered milk

Starter
Add 4 cups of flour, all the yeast, eggs, powdered milk if using, sugar and water or milk and mix. You will get a really wet dough, don't worry, this is supposed to look like thick pancake dough.

Set covered in a warm place to double. It has a lot of eggs and butter in it so it will probably take more than an hour, mine took a couple of hours.

If you have a stand mixer this will take a lot less effort, I don't use one but I like to play with dough.
Add the remaining 4 cups of flour and knead until you have a soft shinny dough. It will be really really sticky like this for a few minutes. Resist the urge to add more flour!


It will look like this after several minutes. I let this rise again overnight in the fridge covered w/ saran wrap, then took it out in the morning to come to room temperature.


After it's come to room temp, butter a bread pan. Shape the dough and place it in a warm place to double. Preheat your oven to 350.

Brush with egg wash. Bake in the oven until golden brown.



Beat up a couple of eggs and a pinch of salt. I guess I'm an odd ball kinda, I don't like to make a custard with milk or cream when I'm frying the bread right away, and  that's especially if I'm using brioche... it's already very soft. It always makes for a soggy slice of toast that I just don't enjoy! That being said, if I'm making overnight or stale bread french toast I do add milk or cream. Dip your sliced bread in and sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar. Fry in a dab or two of quality butter, a plus to being here is that it's really cheap, organic and very sweet! Serve hot with honey and hot coffee!


Enjoy!

5 comments:

  1. OMG. Looks so delicious. Drool~

    ReplyDelete
  2. assalamu alaykum

    here u r again mashaa'Allah!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mashalllah tabarak Allah..
    Inshallah I'll attempt baking this recipe, it looks delicious really..I love all your bread recipe mashallah

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jazak Allahu Khairun Sis Moon! Post it when you try it! *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  5. Um Almujahid, Walaikum Essalam, yup here I am!

    ReplyDelete

~ welcome! what say you? =D ~