Monday, October 25, 2010

Cinnamon Rolls


Dough:
2 ts yeast
1 1/4 cups lukewarm milk
1/4 cup white sugar or less
1 tsp salt
2 eggs
1/3 butter at room temperature
3 cups flour

Filling:
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup raisins
cinnamon to taste
3 or so tbs soft butter

Glaze:
1/2 - 1 cup confectioners sugar
2-4 tbs buttermilk or milk or cream
juice of one small lemon if not using buttermilk

As a true cinnamon roll lover, I go straight for the center one!
Before anyone even knows it's gone or that the rolls are finished I have been thrown into a buttery, sugary, cinnamon-y induced coma...
Heaven on earth!



I make this as an overnight-er, if you have a fairly warm kitchen in the am you will have a great breakfast!
The night before, or if you would like an afternoon tea treat;
Add all of the dough ingredients together and knead until silky and smooth.
Lightly oil a bowl and set aside to double.
Set in the fridge overnight in the same bowl you kneaded in and let rise in.
Take out in the morning, gently deflate and let it come to room temperature.
Butter a baking dish and set aside.
Roll out to 1/2 inch thick and paint the dough with the butter.
Sprinkle with cinnamon, sugar and raisins.
Roll up jelly roll style and slice into even sized rolls.
Place in your baking dish a good inch or so apart, these will rise quite a bit!
Set aside to rise again, until doubled.
Mix together the glaze and set aside while the rolls cook.
Cook in a preheated 350 oven until golden brown and bubbly all over.
Drizzle on the glaze and relax with a cup of coffee and the morning paper or the net.


Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. Masha'Allah these look fantastic. I keep seeing cinnamon roll recipes and want to make some but my cinnamon roll lovers (2 older daughters) are away at the moment so I would be the only one eating them! I'll have to wait until December to make them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reading this post was so much fun,,I love cinnamon rolls, I just didn't find the perfect dough for it..I will try your recipe inshallah..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Essalam Alaikum Sisters, Do let me know if you like this dough, I think this one is my favorite one for cinnamon rolls. It's also the one I use for doughnuts sometimes.

    ReplyDelete

~ welcome! what say you? =D ~