Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Crispy Fried Chicken



I'm still a southern girl at heart, the foods I grew up eating still have a warm place with me and I do crave them like crazy when I'm pregnant. Fried chicken is one of them! Yes, I do know that it's really not that good for you but boy when you crave it, it is just something that nothing else can substitute.

I have found through lots of trail and error the way to get a nice crispy crust isn't just in if you leave the skin off or on. It's more in the batter and using baking powder works wonders! So, leave on the skin or not, you will still have a great crust!
1 cut and skinned or not chicken
2 cups, give or take of quality buttermilk
3 eggs
3 cups flour 1 cup set aside to put the seasoning in
1-2 tbs baking powder
seasoning to taste;
I like, paprika, salt, pepper, spicy paprika, dried thyme, garlic powder and onion powder
oil for frying

Beat together the eggs, buttermilk, baking powder and the flour until you have a pretty thick batter, pancake batter is a great comparison.
Place the cut chicken directly into the batter and let it marinate as long as you like. I leave mine for a couple of hours, but if I'm pressed for time a few minutes does well. 
Place all of your spices into the reserved cup of flour and mix well.
Depending on where you will fry your chicken, set up a place to dip and shake, a place where you have the batter and flour/spices in one place. This will make for a quick and easy clean up.
Heat up the oil about five to ten minutes before you are ready to fry.
Make sure the oil is hot, sprinkle a drop or two of water, if it pops your ready to fry.

Dredge a piece of chicken one at a time into the flour and spices. 

Using tongs or two forks place the chicken into the hot oil.
Fry on one side until golden brown and then gently turn over to continuing cooking on the other side. 
Make sure you are not cooking to fast, otherwise you will have uncooked chicken, not pleasent! 
 

I love fried chicken with mashed potatoes, homemade gravy and corn slathered in butter and salt! But, any side will do just fine. 
Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Mashallah looks very good, I think I will try this inshallah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Assalaamu alaikum sis these recipes all look so delish masha Allah you family is blessed to have a wife and mom like you :)

    Warm regards from Cape Town South Africa :)

    ReplyDelete

~ welcome! what say you? =D ~