Friday, October 29, 2010

Fluffy Waffles


I can eat waffles for breakfast, lunch, dinner or dessert, I'm sure I'm not the only one in the world like this, but I do however seem to be the only one located in Northern Africa. :-D

I mostly love fluffy waffles, on occasion I like crispy ones too, but I really dislike thick heavy ones, you know bricks! Finally I found a recipe that makes pretty close to what I can get in restaurants, in the States that is.

I know machines make a huge difference for the quality of waffles, but even though I don't have an expensive waffle maker (This is the one I have) they still come out deliciously light and fluffy, therefore anyone can make yummy waffles! Whoo- Hoo!

I finally figured out that the difference in lightness and flavor is really all in the milk, buttermilk is the way to go!

8 eggs separated
4 cups buttermilk
4 cups flour give or take for desired thickness of waffles
1/4 cup or so of milk to thin out if needed
sugar to taste
2 ts salt
2 tbs baking powder
8 tbs melted butter or oil
vanilla to taste

Melt the butter and set aside.


Stir together the dry ingredients including vanilla powder if you are not using extract *doesn't exist here*.
Beat the egg whites with sugar until stiff peaks form.




Beat the egg yolks, with vanilla extract if not using powdered, until thick and pale yellow.
Add the yolks to the buttermilk, gently stir and add the melted butter.
Add the buttermilk mixture to the flour and stir gently. Don't worry about the lumps, like pancakes you don't want a particularly smooth batter. Fold in the whites to the batter and cook on a hot waffle iron until finished.



Cook in appropriate amounts in the machine you are using. If it drips over, just wipe it off and let it finish. I'm dying to get a cast iron waffle iron, old fashion to make waffles on. I'm looking here in Algeria, I have a feeling that would be the only thing available here, and my sister in law said she bought waffles in Algiers awhile ago made with one. Any ideas sisters?



Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. They look divine! I've never made homemade waffles. If you'd like - I can send you a care package from the states with some wonderful vanilla and all the other stuff you can't get in Algeria! Would love to send you a present!
    Lorie

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh yummy! I love waffles - thanks for this recipe. I am going to try it...I noticed other great recipes too so I am going to scout this very yummy blog for some dinner ideas...hugs and love.

    PS: Great blog

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Lorie, you are so sweet! I might take you up on that offer if I don't get home soon to shop ;-D! *hugs*

    @ Blue Pearl, Thanks for the sweet remarks! Let me know if you do use any recipes and if you like them! *hugs*

    ReplyDelete

~ welcome! what say you? =D ~