Saturday, October 30, 2010

Vanilla Cupcakes

I'm in sweet mode these days! It's like all my favorite cakes and breakfast breads have to made asap!  I know these are not your traditional cupcakes, although I do own a miniature pan for cupcakes it rarely gets used and the two *one odd shaped the other regular* I have for full sized cupcakes, plastic ones that aren't supposed to burn, also rarely get used. I like this miniature bundt cake pan!

1/2 cup butter, room temperature
2/3 cup granulated white sugar
3 large eggs
1 tbs vanilla extract or an entire little package of powder
zest of 1 large lime or lemon
1 1/2 cups flour
1 1/2 ts baking powder
1/4 ts salt
1/4 cup buttermilk

Preheat oven to 350
Combine the dry ingredients together and set aside.
Beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.


Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each one.


Starting with the flour add one third and mix well, then add half of the buttermilk, repeat with the remaining buttermilk and then add the last portion of the flour. Don't over mix.. this is not bread!



Gently stir in the lemon/lime zest.


Fill prepared cupcake pan or cake pan and bake until nicely browned and a toothpick inserted comes out clean.


Place on a wire rack to cool completely and frost when ready to serve.



Enjoy!

5 comments:

  1. They look pretty mashallah, I am still not sure about the buttermilk?is it vinegar with water?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Moon, Originally buttermilk is the leftover cream from churning butter out of it, meaning when someone actually makes butter. You can substitute yogurt, milk, cream, sour cream or milk with a spoon of vinegar in it of course (let it sit for awhile to curdle a bit though).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jennifer....can you actually get buttermilk over there?
    Lorie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lori, Yes, but it's called Leben, not the cheese that most people call Leben. I am not sure how they go about making it either, I'm not even sure if it's cultured, but I would hope so!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lorie, I just was told that Leben is also called Ripe here. Not sure why it has two names.

    ReplyDelete

~ welcome! what say you? =D ~