Friday, November 5, 2010

Belgian Waffles

 

Did you know that there is a waffle recipe that requires yeast? I didn't! I had no idea that Belgian Waffles were yeast risen then cooked, they are not exactly my fave or anything, but they do the trick and the kids love them!
I try to make something sweet and sugary on Fridays and Saturdays, this is our weekends in Algeria.
News Update: *because I know you care* Our weekends were recently changed from Thursdays and Fridays, I liked it better before!
It's nice to not rush around getting little ones ready for school. The most pleasurable part of the mornings in our home, for me at least, would be the part where I begin with gentle nudges, in the form of whispering  good morning to the two oldest boys but in a sad end I am running around like a crazy woman who doesn't have a purpose before one or both of them drag themselves out of bed to then begin the fighting over the bathroom.... Ah yes, it's the small things in life, isn't it!
Waffles are a nice way to start a weekend, would you not agree? Usually none complain about anything on these days!
I always double this recipe because we they eat a lot when I make them, I can only eat one.

2 1/2 ts yeast
3 eggs separated
3 cups warmed buttermilk,  1/4 set aside
3/4 cup butter, melted and cooled
1/2 cup white sugar, two ts set aside for the yeast
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
2 ts vanilla
4 cups flour

Dissolve the yeast with the 1/4 cup milk and reserved sugar, let it foam up. While this is proofing prep for the rest of the batter. Whisk together the flour and salt, set aside. Whisk together the egg yolks.

Whisk the yeast mixture and melted butter into the egg yolks.


Beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form with the sugar, the sugar will help to stabilize them during the rising and cooking.


Starting with the flour add 1/3 of it to the egg yolk mixture, then 1/2 of the milk, then 1/2 of the left flour, then the last of the milk and finally the last of the flour. Make sure not to over mix as it will make the waffles tough. Add more milk to thin it out if you are having trouble getting it to mix, I usually do!


Gently fold in the whipped egg whites. 



Set aside to double, I use the oven.


Heat your griddle according to it's manual then oil, spray or butter it. 
Add about 1/2 cup of batter and wait until it beeps, a green light comes on or a song starts to play ;-D
Eat hot or keep warm in your preheated 200 oven until the entire family sits down for a relaxing meal and everyone exchanges ideas for the rest of the day ... uh not in my home, these suckers are gone before I get a chance to look twice! I usually eat alone or with the baby.


Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

~ welcome! what say you? =D ~