Monday, November 8, 2010

Cinnamon & Nutmeg Muffins


1 1/3 cup flour
1 ts baking powder
1/2 ts salt
1/2 ts nutmeg
1/2 ts cinnamon
2 ts vanilla
1/3 cup oil
3/4 cup sugar, or less if you like
1 egg
3/4 cups buttermilk

Topping:
1/4 melted butter
1/3 cup sugar
2 tbs cinnamon

I doubled this recipe because I like to share with my  neighbors, but it you don't double it, it will make about 12 regular sized muffins. These taste a lot like doughnuts, and since I have been craving doughnuts like crazy I thought this was a less than real doughnut fat saturated experience. I was correct, they were just as yummy, just not as oily! This recipe is also very fast, and doesn't require a lot of ingredients you don't usually have in your pantry, something I love! They are also really tender, which is something I thoroughly enjoy, especially after living here for almost two years! The pastries here are cooked until they are less than soft, doughs are beat until there is too much gluten. Why you ask? Well, people are under the impression that if they are not dry as cardboard they are not finished being cooked. Lava cakes don't go over well here, neither do cinnamon rolls and I'm guessing these didn't either. Don't get me wrong, I have had some lovely sweets here, my husbands aunt makes pretty good cookies, bread and cakes and so does one of my sister in laws. It's just that it really isn't that often that someone hands me something soft.

Preheat the oven to 350. Butter, oil or spray your muffin pan. I finally decided to utilize my muffin "pan". Not sure I even like these kinds of baking dishes.
Melt the butter and set aside. Combine the sugar and cinnamon and set aside.
Combine the dry ingredients and set aside.


Combine the wet ingredients and set aside.
Slowly stir in the wet to the dry and don't over mix.




Pour into prepared baking dish and cook until golden brown. Look at that, beautiful nutmeg specks! Yummmm! My smells are enlightened, I do so love nutmeg. I actually use a coffee grinder to grind my own baking spices, and sometimes cooking seeds too. Like cumin seeds, caraway seeds. You should try it! You won't be disappointed I promise!




Take out of the muffin tin and dip into the melted butter and then into the sugar and cinnamon. They tastes pretty good on their own too, but the cinnamon and sugar crust is kinda addicting if you know what I mean.
Eat warm or room temperature.


Enjoy!

13 comments:

  1. Going to try this - I am a cinnamon fan!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome Blue Pearl, Let me know if you like them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. assalamu alaykum

    I like the touch of cinnamon, it gives a good flavour masha'Allah :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Walaikum Essalam Wa Rahmatullah Um Almujahid, Thanks! Did you try them?

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh mah gawd. this is making me salivate like no other, my friend. wooowww. I am gonna do this as soon as I can get my hands on some buttermilk!

    also, is baking powder the same as baking soda?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Um Amdullah! You can use milk if you like, or even yogurt or sour cream! All of them will make a nice crumb! As for baking soda and baking powder; Baking soda is pure sodium bicarbonate. When baking soda is combined with moisture and an acidic ingredient (e.g., yogurt, chocolate, buttermilk, honey), the resulting chemical reaction produces bubbles of carbon dioxide that expand under oven temperatures, causing baked goods to rise. The reaction begins immediately upon mixing the ingredients, so you need to bake recipes which call for baking soda immediately, or else they will fall flat!
    Baking powder contains sodium bicarbonate, but it includes the acidifying agent already (cream of tartar), and also a drying agent (usually starch). Baking powder is available as single-acting baking powder and as double-acting baking powder. Single-acting powders are activated by moisture, so you must bake recipes which include this product immediately after mixing. Double-acting powders react in two phases and can stand for a while before baking. With double-acting powder, some gas is released at room temperature when the powder is added to dough, but the majority of the gas is released after the temperature of the dough increases in the oven. (I took this from About.com)

    ReplyDelete
  7. assalamu alaykum

    no sis, but I use cinnamon when making plum cake and I've run out of lemons.. 'cause I don't like the cake 'eggs smelling' if u know what I mean ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Waliakum Essalam um almujazhid. Yes, I know what you mean, I have a few recipes I cut out more than half of the called for egg ingredients. Plum cake sounds so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Asalaamualaikum

    I will be trying this out today inshaAllah. Quick question - it says under Topping that you need 1/4 butter. 1/4 of what?

    Jazakillah khair! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I ended up making them tonight. I realized that with the topping i don't need to know the amount of butter anyway. Silly me! Anyway they were really quick, easy and mashaAllah they tasted good. My husband loved them too, I caught him trying to steal one off the cooling rack when I wasn't looking ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Walaikum Essalam Huda, So sorry I missed this comment. I have been really busy and haven't logged into my blog. I guess it worked out and that makes me happy to hear!

    ReplyDelete
  12. AnonymousMay 05, 2013

    I don't see a baking time?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sorry about that. 30-45 minutes. Until a tester comes out clean.

    ReplyDelete

~ welcome! what say you? =D ~