Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Homemade Turkey Pot Pie with Biscuits


It's getting chilly here at night, I love it! I love the cold, but I also love winter foods. It's the call for warmer food, ones that are baked for an hour or more. Dishes that are warming up my kitchen, my heart and my sense of smell! Homemade pot pie! Maybe it's the pregnancy talking? 

Filling:
2 large turkey breasts or chicken breasts cut into cubes
6 tbs butter
6 tbs flour (you can use gravy mix adjusted for amounts on the directions instead)
salt to taste
2 1/2 cups of the water you cooked the turkey and veggies in 
1 1/4 to 1 1/2 cups milk or buttermilk or a mixture of both, use the lesser amount for a thicker sauce or more for thicker. It will thicken up as it cooks, don't forget that!
1 1/2 cups frozen peas, adjustable I used more
1 1/2 cups chopped carrots, adjustable I used more
1 large chopped onion
1 spring onion chopped
1 head of garlic chopped

Biscuits:
4 cups flour
4 ts powdered milk
4 ts baking powder
salt to taste
1/2 cup butter
1 1/3 to 1 1/2 cups cold milk or buttermilk, I used buttermilk
1 egg beaten with a ts of milk + salt

Dice the turkey. chop the vegetables, add a cup of water, bring up to a boil and then to pressure if using a pressure cooker and cook until done.


Preheat oven to 400.
Make the sauce by melting the butter, whisking in the flour or gravy mix and cooking until the color changes to light brown. Add the milk and seasoning and simmer for five minutes.


Place the hot veggies and turkey into your baking dish, I used a large Pyrex.


Gently add the gravy over the vegetables and turkey and stir to mix well. Put in the oven and make the biscuits.


Whisk together the dry ingredients. Cut in very cold butter until crumbly with two butter knives or a pastry cutter, you can even use a food processor.


Add very cold buttermilk or milk until shaggy. Don't work it too much or you will have a tough biscuit.


Flip out onto a lightly floured surface and knead a couple of times, 5 max!


Roll out to desired thickness and cut with a glass or biscuit cutter. I rolled mine quite thin, which I do prefer with this recipe, but if you use this recipe for biscuits in the morning thicker is much better! As well as putting the dough after cutting it into the freezer for thirty minutes before baking!


Take the scraps and pile them on top of each other, lightly flour then press out with your rolling pin again and cut out a few more biscuits.


Take out the baking dish and add the rolls on top of the casserole dish, brush with the egg wash, sprinkle on some course salt. I just dump whatever egg wash is leftover right on top, it doesn't hurt it, adds color and I really don't like to waste food!


Bake until golden brown. Serve hot!



Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on your pregnancy sis! I have not made a pot pie in a long time - thanks for reminding how good they are! I usually make them with either puff pastry or pie dough ... but I am sure biscuit topping is great - going to try it! mmm!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Heni! I love pot pie with all of them actually! Let me know how it turns out!

    ReplyDelete

~ welcome! what say you? =D ~