Sunday, November 14, 2010

Lemon Pound Cake


So here it is, my very favorite lemon pound cake, although our lemons are still limes, it is still so yummy! I made this cake two days in a row, Thursday and Friday, kinda silly I know. But one cake I tried with goat's butter, uhhh, I didn't enjoy it at all, I totally forgot that I have found goat's butter has a horrible smell most of the time, although I have eaten it when it tasted sweet. I think it's the diet or age of that particular goat that makes the difference. Anyhow, I cut it up and gave it away to the neighbors IE. in laws. They absolutely loved it, surprising but true! Last time I made a pound cake all but one person told me it wasn't cooked well, you know pound cakes are really soft, they don't particularly care for that here. On Friday, I made the regular cake I have been making for years same recipe but using cow's butter. Yummy!!!! I gave half to the English class that DH teaches every Friday and we ate the last piece last night before crawling into a cold bed.

2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 ts baking powder
1 ts salt
1 cup butter, room temperature
1 cup sugar
zest of 4 nice sized lemons
4 eggs + 2 egg yolks you can add up to 6 egg actually and I bet if you increase the flour to 3 cups you can add more
2 ts vanilla
1/2 cup buttermilk + juice of one lemon stirred together

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
Butter and flour a loaf pan, I have decided that I don't like these silicone baking pans. Crack all your eggs set aside. Juice your limes and add to the buttermilk and set aside. Combine the dry ingredients including the lemon zest and set aside.




Cream the butter in a mixer or by hand. Add the sugar continue creaming until it's, well, creamy. Slowly add the eggs one at a time. Add the vanilla.






Working in alternating batches, mixing just to incorporate after each addition, add the dry ingredients and the buttermilk, to the butter mixture. Mix until just smooth. Don't over mix! Give it a good stir and then carefully spoon it out into your cake pan.






Bake until raised in the center and a tester inserted into the center comes out dry and almost clean, takes about an hour. Let the cake sit for about ten minutes, then flip it out onto a wire rack to finish cooling.



If you are making a glaze or syrup now is the time. I made syrup for the goat's butter cake, trying in a desperate attempt to cover that goaty taste, didn't work. For the cow's butter cake I just added a lemon glaze. For the glaze I just added the juice of three lemons and powdered sugar to a nice consistency, then I dumped it on the cake. Serve at room temperature, in thin slices.

Enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. Looks fabulous - I feel like making this right now!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! That looks incredibly tasty!
    Great blog, mashaAllah

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ uk4dz, Thanks! If you like it let me know!

    @ Haute Muslimah, Welcome & Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Salam Alaikum!!
    Baking cakes is my number one hobby!!
    Not do much of it now since I started my company, but I will defenitely try this when i have time inshaAllah.

    Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete

~ welcome! what say you? =D ~