Saturday, November 13, 2010

Tuna Casserole


We used to eat this a lot when we were kids. I crave it every time I'm pregnant but don't think much about it otherwise. It's really easy to make, but if you are living in Algeria I'm pretty sure you don't have access to Mushroom soup, so there are no mushrooms like in my mom's version. I substituted with adding lots of onions and garlic. My kids loved it so I will try to make it more often for them.

Saute green winter onions and garlic in 1/8 cup of butter and 2 tbs olive oil. After they are wilted, starting to brown a bit and losing their water add a couple of blended tomatoes.



Add a couple of tbs of flour and cook that a bit so not to taste the flour in the sauce. It will thicken up, keep stirring it and making sure not to burn the flour.





There are three cheeses here in this part of Algeria that I like, the one pictured below and on occasion I like their Swiss and something they call Camareah. Chop up the cheese and add it, stirring to melt, then add some water and bring it up to a simmer until you have the thickness you are looking for.





 By now your peas and macaroni should be well drained and your tuna should be waiting. Throw everything into a pot and serve hot!





Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

~ welcome! what say you? =D ~