Thursday, November 4, 2010

White Sandwich Bread


I truly love grilled cheese and peanut butter and jelly *jam actually I don't like jelly, blackberry or strawberry are best with PB* sandwiches! I also really love tuna sandwiches, but until today have been unable to find decent tuna! Everything I have found has a ton of oil in it and tomatoes and or garlic. Uhh, not my cup of tea! *unless of course I add the tomatoes and or garlic myself* Yippee for today I found it, the tuna is still packed in oil, I much prefer water, but it tastes like tuna and no other things in it!!

For lunch today I made vegetable soup, a green salad and tuna salad.


4 cups flour
1/2 cup powdered milk
4 tbs oil
1 tbs sugar
1 1/4 cup warm water

I really am a sucker for a hot fresh loaf of homemade bread!

I usually proof the yeast only because I live in Algeria and who knows how old it is plus I have found it helps my dough to rise faster... maybe it's just me, or maybe it's the yeast!

Add everything together in a mixer or by hand and knead until a soft, pliable dough is made.



Set aside in a very lightly oiled bowl to double.


Since it's cold in my kitchen these days I preheat my oven then turn it off to let it double inside. When it has doubled turn out onto a lightly oiled surface and roll into about an 8 inch rectangle.



Gently roll over the rectangle onto itself twice until you have about a 9 inch log.



Place in a lightly oiled loaf/bread pan. I had to reshape mine, notice the difference in texture from the above picture to the one below? Loaf pan issues! =D


Cover and let rise until doubled again. Again, I put mine in a preheated oven to help speed up the waiting time!


Cook for about 40 minutes. The bread should be golden brown and hollow sounding when tapped. Don't cut into it until it has completely cooled ... if you can be patient!


Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

~ welcome! what say you? =D ~