Sunday, February 6, 2011

Walnut Brownies


2 1/2 sticks or 1 1/2 cups butter or the not so nice margarine straight from your fridge
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 cups cocoa powder or if you are located in Northern Africa, the cocoa powder is less than chocolaty use a good chocolate bar broken into several pieces
2 1/2 ts vanilla
4 ts milk
4 tbs instant coffee
1 ts salt
4 large eggs
2/3 cup flour plus 2 tbs
1 tbs baking powder
1-2 cups walnuts chopped to the size of your preference




Preheat your oven to 350.
Line a 9x13 baking pan with aluminum foil  and butter it.
Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat.


Add the sugar and cook for two minutes, whisking so it doesn't burn.


Add the chocolate and whisk until it's melted.


Add the instant coffee, salt, baking powder and vanilla.



Add in the eggs, one egg at a time, whisking very well after each addition. The mixture should look shiny and thick now. If you like you can switch to a wooden spoon and mix in the flour until well blended.
Don't over mix, brownies shouldn't be tough but soft and gooey.

Stir in the chopped nuts if you are using them.


Pour batter into the prepared pan.


Bake for about 22-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out almost clean. There should still be a few crumbs attached. Set the pan on a rack and let cool completely before lifting out the finished brownies. If you can wait that is. Cut into desired shapes. Give away to the neighbors if they like this sort of thing. ;-D!



Enjoy!

17 comments:

  1. Salaam sis. I must ask, are you trying to sabotage my diet on purpose??? lol These brownies look DELISH. Oh my... maybe I can make half a batch, just eat a tiny one, and insist the kids demolish the rest! lol

    I would like to ask how you get your pictures so clear masha'Allah. What type of camera do you have? Digi point and click, fancy dancy one with special lens, etc. And what setting do you use?

    Jazaki Allahu khair..;.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Salaams Umm Aaminah, LOL! Don't diet, just cut portions in half!! At least that what works for me. Yes, you can def cut the recipe in half, since I doubled the original to make for a larger amount of people.

    I use a Canon SD950 IS point and shoot. I bought it three plus years ago after my old Sony point and shoot clunked out. It was well worth it, Masha'allah it takes nice pics.

    Jazakallahu Khairun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Assalaamu Alaykum,

    These look delicious ma sha Allah! Loving your pics of Algeria!!!

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Walaikum Essalam Fruitful Fusion, Thanks! Barakallahu feeki!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A. Those look amazing and I can't wait to try that recipe!
    B. Your blog is amazing, MashaAllah. I love the photos of everything, it makes me feel like I'm there!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Haute Muslimah, Let me know how they turn out if you do end up trying them out. Jazakallahu Khair for the compliments, I love taking pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE brownies!!!! Wish someone could cook them for me! I've never tried to make them myself... I'm afraid I'll fail. But I've already bookmarked you other recipe- fudge brownies... I'm tempted to try... Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Me too Alice! One of my favorite treats and one of the easiest to make! Let me know how they turn out if you do decide to make them! Happy Cooking!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks aboslutley delish sis. I want some now!
    I am starting a project guide to Algeria is you will. I hope you don't mind I am linking your site.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Heni, and no I don't mind I would be honored in fact! Jazakallahu Khair

    ReplyDelete
  11. I cooked your Fudge brownies today. Only I did not add raisins, nuts and chips. Instead I added some Nutella and a broken milk chocolate bar. It turned out fine- tastes like brownies! LOL! Very fudge like taste. I've eaten so much- I could say at the moment "I hate brownies" :) I also tried a Betty Crocker ready brownie mix. And I must say brownies made with your recipe are so much better!!! Thank you for sharing the recipe. I'll definitely make it again...after looonnnnnnnnnnnng time

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jennifer,these are totally decadent brownies! How can you go wrong with all that rich butter....YUM!!

    Anna's Table

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for stopping by Anna!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Salaam

    This recipe looks delicious! I'm new to your site and love the mix of recipes and stories. Great photography, masha'Allah!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Salaam Julie, Thanks for stopping by & the very sweet compliments! Jazakallahu Khair and I hope to see you here again!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Salam Jennifer...just discovered your blog...and must say these babies look sooooo good. I can't wait to make them one day soon, Insha'allah.

    Quick question, and this may seem dumb, but do you still have the heat on when you add the chocolate and flour?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your cakes mashaAllah look beautiful. I would like to bake more but my schedule just doesn't allow me to spend much time on one thing for too long! Maybe when all kids are in school inshaallah

    ReplyDelete

~ welcome! what say you? =D ~