Friday, July 1, 2011

Herbed Bread



I know I'm on a cast iron skillet kick these days. I grew up eating on cast iron, my step mom used it, showed me how to care for it and told me it would last my lifetime. The enameled cast iron I have is awesome, so is the plain old fashion ones like these used here. They are better than non stick, last a lifetime, not hard on the heath, easy to clean, easy to store and fairly cheap to buy. In fact cast iron can help with anemia! I totally encourage you to try it!


4-6 cups flour
1 1/2 - 2 cups warm water
2 1/2 ts yeast
1 ts sugar
4 tbs Italian dried herb mix or make your own of course
6 tbs olive oil


Proof the yeast with the water and sugar. Let it bubble up for about 10 minutes.
Add half the flour to the water and knead until it's fairly dry, but not stiff.



Keep adding more flour until it's not too sticky. Add the herbs.







Still sticky as you can see, but not too hydrated.




Oil the bowl and the dough, set aside and let it double.




Gently deflate the dough, split into two and press out into the skillets. Set aside to double again.




Bake in a 350 preheated oven for 30-40 minutes or until it's hollow sounding when tapped and golden brown.



Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. assalamu alaykum

    I couln't agree more! Cast Iron is great masha'Allah!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Walaikum Essalam Um Almujahid, Thanks! I really do love cast iron! =D

    ReplyDelete

~ welcome! what say you? =D ~