Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Torta al Vino with Grapes or Grape Cake



I love this cake! It's easy to make, great for summer desserts and not too sweet. It's also a traditional Italian cake, did I ever mention my mother's mom is from Italy? =D
This is a nice cake to serve during Ramadan after the night prayers when most people drink coffee or tea. Of course, this is the halal/kosher version, you can use any juice you like instead of wine, I have used apple, grape and even sparkling juice which I have to say does work the best.

1 1/2 cup flour
1 1/2 ts baking powder
1/2 ts salt
6 tbs butter at room temp 
2 tbsp butter cut into bits to be scattered on the top later I totally omit this step
1/2 cup sugar + 1 tbs for sprinkling on top
2 eggs
1 tbs extra-virgin olive oil
1 ts vanilla extract lemon extract
3/4 cup dry white wine apple juice
2 cups small red green seedless grapes, stemmed, rinsed, and patted dry; divided

Arrange a rack in the middle of the oven and preheat to 350.  Spray or butter and flour a cake pan.
Sift together the dry ingredients, except the sugar and set aside.
In a large bowl, with an electric mixer on medium speed, beat the butter and sugar together until light
fluffy. Scrape the sides of the bowl.


Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Then beat in the olive oil, and vanilla lemon extract. I love mixing shots! hah! Such a kid!



Starting with the dry ingredients add it to the butter, then add the juice, then the last of the flour.
Don't over mix, just enough to mix it all together.





Scrape the butter into the cake pan, smooth the top with a spatula. Scatter the grapes over the surface of the batter. Do not press on them, they will sink as the batter rises.



Bake for 25 minutes, until the top is set. Carefully slide the cake out of the oven and sprinkle the 1 tbsp sugar. Return the cake back to the oven, and bake for additional 25-30 minutes. The cake is done when a tooth pick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Remove from the oven to a cooling rack. Cool for 10 minutes. Run a knife around the cake, unmold. Cool completely on the rack.






Enjoy!

6 comments:

  1. This cake looks delicious! I remember seeing a recipe similar to this in an Italian cookbook. I need to try it for sure! I'm your latest follower and would love it when you have a moment if you stopped by my family's site. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Y.A., Thanks for stopping by and visiting me! I will def visit you. Take care and happy baking!

    ReplyDelete
  3. masha`allah so simple and looks so light ......will have to have a go at this insha`allah ....i think it`s also time to talk my dh into getting me a mixer

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Umm Imran! Jazakallahu Khair. This cake is really easy to make with a whisk, you don't need a mixer. If you ever make your way down to the South, in Hassi Masoud I was told mixer are fairly cheap.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah! didn't know you are 'shwiya' italian masha'Allah!! LOL! Yummi cake!

    ReplyDelete

~ welcome! what say you? =D ~