Sunday, August 21, 2011

Fry Bread For Indian Tacos



4 cups flour
2 tbs yeast
1 tbs sugar
1 tbs salt
3/4 - 1 cup warm milk
3/4 - 1 cup warm water
1/4 cup oil
oil for frying

Add the yeast and sugar to the water, mix it and let it sit for 5 minutes.
Add the milk, flour, salt, and oil and knead until silky. It shouldn't be dry but not sticky.
Set aside to double for an hour. Gently deflate it and break off golf ball of bigger size pieces, flatten them with your hands, tear a small hole in the middle of each piece and fry in hot oil.



Top with taco filling, or for dessert honey or cinnamon and sugar.

Enjoy!

10 comments:

  1. I love these with cinnamon and sugar, taste very simular to the Hungarian Langosh. It's so weird hearing them being called Fry Bread, up until I was 23 I've always known it as Bannok :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love them too, but cannot eat them often, fatty fatty! LOL American Indians call them fry bread. I grew up eating them at Pow-Wows =D

    ReplyDelete
  3. masha`allah they look so good and you know they look a little like kafaf

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yea I love fry bread so good mashAllah.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Umm Imran, I don't think I have had kafaf?
    Me too Noor, yum yum!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks similar to a chalupa and it looks so.dang.good.

    I am sure if I get within 20 feet of something a)bread and b)fried I'll gain a pound!

    Still... I wanna try it!!! lol Ma salaama sis...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah Umm Aaminah that would be why I just won't make them.... too often anyway LOL Yummy on the lips pounds on my hips!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Salaams,

    Yum! Im going to try this recipe this weekend inshaAllah!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Salaam Sis, Thanks for stopping by! Let me know how it works out!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Salaam :) Thank you for posting this recipe! I love, love, love fry bread and haven't had it in years! I can't wait to make this with a cinnamon-sugar topping. Yum!

    ReplyDelete

~ welcome! what say you? =D ~