Monday, October 31, 2011

Baghrir or Beghrir



It's been awhile! Wow, with homeschooling, a new addition to the family (he just reached 7 months a few days back) and five other kids running around blogging has been on the back burner. I never forget about this place, I just get tired, and cooking is more of a chore instead of relaxation like it should be. I have cooked up lots of great food, some duds too, and even took a bunch of pics, I just haven't found anytime to blog...
Maybe this will be the starter for regular blogging again, maybe not. ;-)

Lovely North African Crepes. Beghrir means 1000 holes. You will love these!

Crepes:
2 cups warm water + 1/2 cup to proof the yeast
1-2 cups warm milk
2 cups fine semolina
2 cups flour
4 tbs sugar + 1 for proofing the yeast
1 tbs salt
2 ts baking powder
1 tbs yeast
1-2 eggs and some people don't use any at all, some people use 3 =D

Sauce:
1/4 cup butter, adjustable to suit your taste
1/4 cup honey, adjustable to suit your taste
you can also use jam or nutella, but traditionally it's supposed to be butter and honey

I have to say firstly, the more milk you use, the heavier and less holes you will get, but the tastier it will be. So, using that piece of info decide what is important, more holes or more taste?
Add the yeast to a 1/2 cup of water and the sugar, mix it together, set aside to proof while you make the batter. Whisk together the semolina, flour, baking powder, and salt.
Whisk in the milk, egg(s) and water. Stir until no lumps. If you cannot achieve this, put it in the blender or mixer and blend for 30 seconds. Stir in the yeast mixture. I blend it together using my trusty mixer, but by hand works just as well. Cover the mixture and let it sit in a warm place for 30-45 minutes, it should have doubled and be quite frothy.






Warm your pan on medium heat. This is the only recipe I use a non stick pan for, because you are not supposed to butter or oil your pan according to just about every person I have ever watched make Baghrir. Using a ladle spoon the batter into the center of the pan.
Cook the pancake a couple of minutes on one side only. You will see tons of holes forming at the top of the Crepe. Hence the name Baghrir, it means 1000 holes. When it is dry on top, it's done.
Stack them separated, not on top of one another because they will stick together. You can make layers by using wax or parchment paper between them.



Make the sauce by melting the butter in the pan and then adding the honey. Dip the uncooked side, the side with the holes in the sauce. You can also put the sauce in a gravy bowl and let everyone pour how much they like for themselves, adults that is, not the kiddies ;-D

Enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. mmmm mashAllah I love these with honey

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness how I've missed you!!! the beghrir look delicious, we love them alot in our house! well worth the effort of mastering how to do them.

    I always do mine in the food mixer but my in-laws insist on doing it the laborious way by making a dough first then kneading in water till it's wet enough, no matter how many times I tell them it tastes just as good done in the robo!!

    Insha'allah all is well with you and the family. I'm really happy to see you back mashaallah xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Kate! Thanks for the warm welcome! I miss blogging, I 'm just so overwhelmed w/ homeschooling, cooking, cleaning and trying to maintain so ounce of uhhhh ladyship. LOL

    ReplyDelete

~ welcome! what say you? =D ~