Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Sheet Cake, Angel Food


I snagged this recipe offline, (Southern Living 2008 magazine) and even though I made my own adjustments it still turned out way too dense and sweet, I mean way tooooo sweet! (although I have to say, hubby, brother in law, kids and neighbor all thought that it was lovely, it was just I whom didn't like it much) I had thought that it was too much sugar when I was making it, but instead of listening to myself and cutting the sugar in half I only cut out 1/2 cup =/, kinda upset, especially since I know better, but also because I was really looking forward to eating this thing! Oh well, I will have to redo it another day, but with half of the eggs it's called for, and 1/2 of the sugar it calls for. I will also have to sneak into Michael's this weekend to  invest in a tube pan with legs. I won't use a 9x13 again for this recipe unless I'm using two, I don't much care for really thick cake.

2 1/2 cups sugar
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 1/2  1 1/2 cups egg whites
1 ts cream of tartar
1 ts vanilla extract
1 ts lemon extract or 1/4 cup lemon juice

Preheat oven to 375°. Line bottom and sides of a 13- x 9-inch pan with aluminum foil, allowing 2  inches to extend over sides of pan. (Do not grease pan or the foil.)
Stir together the flour, salt, and sugar, set them aside. Beat egg whites and cream of tartar until stiff peaks form.



Gradually fold in sugar mixture, 1/3 at a time. Fold it just until it's blended.




Fold in vanilla and lemon juice or extract.



Spoon batter into prepared pan. (Pan will be very full. The batter will reach almost to the top of the pan.)




Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center of cake comes out clean. Hmmm, we must be the only household that doesn't keep toothpicks *note the large butterknive marks ;-)*



Invert cake onto a lightly greased wire rack; let cool, with pan over cake, 1 hour or until completely cool.


Remove pan; peel foil off cake.



Transfer cake to a serving platter. Frost with your choice of frosting or use my recipe below.
Lime-Cream Cheese Frosting
2 cups cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup butter, softened
1/4 cup fresh lime or lemon juice
2 ts vanilla extract
3-5 cups powdered sugar, or until it's the thickness you like

Beat the vanilla, cream cheese and butter until creamy.


Add lemon or lime juice, and vanilla. Beat just until blended.



Gradually add powdered sugar, a cup at a time on on low speed until blended and it's the thickness you like for your frosting ;-)





Frost, Cut, & Serve





Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment

~ welcome! what say you? =D ~