Friday, December 16, 2011

Yellow Cake Studded with Sour Cherries



This is like the best yellow cake recipe ever, and I have tried a few! You can change the fruit, leave it out, add preserves instead, marble it by halving the batter and adding melted chocolate to it. Really this cake recipe is life saver and can be used with buttercream or chocolate frosting, etc. etc. you get the idea, use your imagination! Just use like any other yellow cake recipe and have fun.
Secret; I really don't like boxed cakes, I can tell from the first bite if a cake is homemade or boxed. I know, I'm a cake snob... but seriously, boxed cake? They really taste like a box if you ask me, and no matter how hard you may try to dress it up, it will NEVER take away that box flavor.

I would never say the above in real life to anyone who prepared a cake for me... just so ya know I have manners ;-)

3 cups flour
2 ts baking powder
12 tbs room temp butter
1 1/2 cup sugar
2 ts vanilla
6 egg yolks
1 cup milk
1 jar of sour cherries or other fruit in juice

Preheat your oven to 350. Spray or butter and flour two 9 inch cake pans or one large 14 inch (a new addition to my kitchen!)

In a medium bowl, separate the eggs, save the whites for a roll cake, frittata, breakfast or a smoothie (if ya like that sorta thing). Add the vanilla and 1/4 cup of the milk to the yolks and set aside. I accidentally (while chasing my soon to be 9 month old out of the kitchen) put the yolks in the mixing bowl, so later you will see I put them in a cereal bowl.


Combine the dry ingredients and stir together.


Add the room temperature soft butter and remaining 3/4 cup of milk and give a good stir.


Slowly add the egg and vanilla mixture to the flour and milk mixture and stir it together until it's a smooth batter, don't beat it, meaning don't overmix; this is cake, it's supposed to be soft and light, not thick and chewy.






Pour into prepared pan(s), spread evenly. Drain your cherries and sprinkle on top. Bake 25-35 minutes, depending on pan size. It will have pulled away from the sides a bit and be browned some.




Cool on a wire rack in pan if you can wait ;-) See the lines from the cherry juice that dropped off of my hand while dropping them? Kinda pretty. You can sift powdered sugar on top, or drizzle with icing if you like.

Since I used one large pan I cut them into squares, instead of classic slices.


Serve for tea, coffee, breakfast, snack or give as a nice holiday gift!


Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. salam sis,
    how are you?
    I really like your recipe, I should give it a try one of these days

    take care

    ReplyDelete
  2. salaam kaouther! so nice to *see* u sis! how are you doing, alhamdulillah we are all good here! take care and come again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello,


    We bumped into your blog and we really liked it.
    We would like to add it to the Petitchef.com.

    We would be delighted if you could add your blog to Petitchef so that our users can, as us,
    enjoy your recipes.

    Petitchef is a french based Cooking recipes Portal. Several hundred Blogs are already members
    and benefit from their exposure on Petitchef.com.

    To add your site to the Petitchef family you can use http://en.petitchef.com/?obj=front&action=site_ajout_form or just go to Petitchef.com and click on "Add your site"

    Best regards,

    petitchef.com

    ReplyDelete

~ welcome! what say you? =D ~